Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Thing 6 - Differentiation and UDL

1. Key components of differentiation that I feel I am ALREADY starting to use:
Align tasks and objectives to learning goals
Flexible grouping is consistently used.
Use assessment as a teaching tool to extend rather than merely measure instruction.
Emphasize critical and creative thinking as a goal in lesson design.
Provide a balance between teacher-assigned and student-selected tasks

2. A tool I will try to use with a specific student to help them individually
I have one particular student who is a struggling reader. I think that using digital enhancements could help this student. We already have a Science Textbook with TONS of awesome digital enhancements. There are animated diagrams, a place where the textbook reads itself aloud to you, interactive quizzes and activities, and links to other websites with interesting and helpful information. I think this would also be really helpful for Spanish speaking students as the website also offers the opportunity to hear the book read aloud in Spanish.

3. Using NetTrekker to find activities at three different reading levels
I found these three sites that deal with the cell membrane, which 7th graders will need to learn about when we study cells. I like the activities because they provide interactive options, instead of JUST reading. It think the challenge will be to come up with a product that students can create or turn in to show that they completed all parts of each activity. There is a picture of the 3 options at the BOTTOM of this post. Look up. HERE is a link to those search results...you may need to log in to view them.

4. Read this picture from vozMe to see my thoughts on using this tool!







No comments:

Post a Comment